109 PURVIS LANE
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Ganges Harbour - Earlier known as Admiralty Bay, it takes its name from HMS Ganges, eighty-four guns, flagship on the RN's Pacific Station 1857-60.
- The Ganges, built in 1821, was the last British sailing battleship commissioned for service outside home waters.
- Money Makers Rock - Boaters put holes in their hulls so often here that the local repair yard takes in plenty of money.
- Mount Lehman - For over a century, the locals have refused to apply to their Maxwell's Mountain its official name of Baynes Peak, after Rear-Admiral Baynes, RN.
- Accordingly, in 1938, they insisted on this name for their park, memorializing the Maxwell family, which had lived continuously on the island since the mid-1860s.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/GangesHarbour