48 2 Ave S.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
British Columbia Tourism Region : Cariboo Chilcotin Coast
- After Chief Alexis, a leader of the Chilcotin Indians. After the Chilcotin War of 1864, Governor Seymour led a force into the chiefs territory.
- He described his meeting with the chief thus: 'Alexis and his men came on at the best pace of their horses, holding their muskets over their heads to show they came in peace.
- Having ascertained which was the Governor, he threw himself from his horse and at once approached me. He was dressed in a French uniform, such as one sees in pictures of Montcalm.'
- Ten years later the CPR surveyor Marcus Smith met him: 'A ride of fourteen miles ... brought us to the Alexis lakes, near one of which the chief has a rough log-house, his headquarters ...
- The chief Alexis looks fully fifty years of age, rather under the middle height, has small black restless eyes, expressive of distrust ...'
- …from G.P.V. Akrigg and Helen B. Akrigg British Columbia Place Names 3rd Edition 1997
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/AlexisCreek