7871 Westminster Hwy
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver, Coast, & Mountains
- After Sam Brighouse, born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, in 1836. Brighouse and his cousin John Morton came to British Columbia in 1862 and spent a brief time in the Cariboo goldfields.
- Later in the same year, together with William Hailstone, they purchased 550 acres of land, that portion of present-day Vancouver lying between Burrard Street and Stanley Park.
- In 1864 Brighouse bought 697 acres on Lulu Island and established the Brighouse Ranch. He later became a Richmond councillor and a Vancouver alderman.
- In 1907 he made one of his fields into a racetrack, Minoru Park (named after a horse owned by Edward VI I), which later became Brighouse Park. Brighouse died in England in 1913.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Brighouse