1011 4 St
British Columbia Tourism Region : Kootenay Rockies
- According to A.M. Evalenko, when the Doukhobors came to the Kootenays, they gave their first settlement 'the name of the Valley of Consolation, Village of Brilliant, from a brilliant diamond of the first water,
- on account of the great river Columbia flowing through the land.'
- Actually, though near the Columbia, Brilliant is on the Kootenay River, and a little piece in the Cominco Magazine says that it was 'the bright racing waters'
- of the latter river that suggested this name to H.B. Landers, who was working with the Doukhobor settlers.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Brilliant