1543 KITWANGA RD N.
British Columbia Tourism Region : Northern BC
- This settlement began as Minskinish, a Victorian missionary village like William Duncan's Metlakatla.
- The benevolent despot here was the Reverend R. Tomlinson, who founded the village in 1888. The Sabbath was strictly observed in Minskinish.
- No work of any sort was done on Sunday, no visitor arrived or departed, and if a riverboat arrived that day, it merely left the mail on the bank of the Skeena, where it was not touched until Monday.
- It is not surprising that the village was nicknamed 'Holy City.' Minskinish means 'at the base of the jackpine.' The present name of Cedarvale comes from the cedars that grow around the landing.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Cedarvale