3877 Squilax-Anglemont Rd
British Columbia Tourism Region : Thompson Okanagan
- When a post office was to be established here in 1908 and the residents could not agree on a suitable name for it, the postal authorities suggested that it be named after Celesta Creek.
- Although this creek is many miles away, the name was adopted, but due to an error in reading handwriting, the name came out as 'Celista.'
- Celesta Creek is an anglicization of a well-known Shuswap ancestral name, Selesta, which appears on the 1877 Indian reserve census by George Blenkinsop, with people of this name noted as living at Little Shuswap, Neskainlith, and Kamloops.
- Prominent among the bearers of this name was William Celesta (see Bouchard and Kennedy, Shuswap Stories, p. 126), a 'doctor' who came from Salmon Arm, had land on a Neskainlith reserve west of Chase, and died in the late 1940s.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Celista