6638 Deering Rd
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Carmanah Point was named after the nearby Nitinaht Indian village, whose name can be translated as 'thus far upstream.'
- Cheewhat River from a very old Nitinaht Indian word meaning ' having an island nearby'.
- Clo-oose...Derived from the Nitinaht Indian word meaning 'campsite beach.' Before the village was built, the site was a favourite resting spot for halibut fishermen.
- In the years before World War I, a Victoria real estate promoter sold nearby land to well-to-do English families, some of whom built fine houses. Evidently not happy with the Indian name Clo-oose for their postal address,
- they petitioned unsuccessfully to have the name changed to Clovelly.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/CarmanahPoint