5166 Cordova Bay Rd
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- In 1790 Sublieutenant Manuel Quimper of the Spanish Navy gave Esquimalt Harbour the name of Puerto de Cordova, in honour of the forty-sixth Viceroy of New Spain.
- About 1842 the HBC transferred the name to this bay. For many years previous to 1906, Cordova Bay was known as Cormorant Bay.
- The Saanich Indian name for the bay means 'white colour,' referring to the lush growth of waxberry/snowberry bushes on its shoreline.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/CordovaBay