British Columbia Tourism Region : Thompson Okanagan
- Chapperon Lake named after Francois Chapperon, a packer who used to keep his horses near here. In 1883 he sold the property, which eventually became part of the Douglas Lake Ranch.
- Douglas Lake - After the first pre-emptor of the Douglas Lake ranch, John Douglas. This Douglas, no relation of Governor Sir James Douglas, came to Nicola Valley hoping that the dry climate would help his lung condition.
- He acquired much land between 1872 and 1888. He died in California in 1889, apparently of tuberculosis.
- Rather late in life, John Douglas married Mrs. Julia Cross, keeper of a boarding-house in San Francisco. She took violent exception to life in a ranch house, so old John set her up with a boarding-house in Victoria and returned to his bachelor ways.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/DouglasLake