491 3 Ave
British Columbia Tourism Region : Kootenay Rockies
- Flathead River - In northwestern Montana Flathead Range, Flathead Lake, and Flathead River (whose upper stretches are in British Columbia) bear witness to the fact that this was the homeland of the Flathead Indians.
- The origin of the band's name is uncertain. Some believe that at a remote time certain members of the band, like Indians on the Pacific coast, artificially deformed the skulls of their infants.
- Others believe the name arose from the Indian sign language that indicated members of this band by holding the hands tight on either side of the head. The two explanations are not necessarily contradictory.
- Harvey Creek - After J.A. Harvey, a Cranbrook lawyer.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/FlatheadRiver