470 South Rd
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Spanish for 'rest' or 'ease.' Galiano and Valdes left a record of how they came to give this name in June 1792 to this haven on Gabriola Island:
- 'We called this roadstead 'Cala del Descanso' from our need of rest and our appreciation in finding it on this occasion.'
- Gabriola Island - Henry Wagner maintains --- in his authoritative Cartography of the Northwest Coast of America (2:389) —
- that the name originally given by the Spaniards in 1791 to the southeastern part of this island was Punta de Gaviota (Cape Seagull) but that this was corrupted first into Gaviola by the Spaniards themselves and then into Gabriola.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/DescansoBay