400 Gower Point Rd
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver, Coast, & Mountains
- Gambier Island - After Admiral of the Fleet James, Lord Gambier (1756-1833).
- As captain of HMS Defence, he took part in the victory of 'The Glorious First of June' in 1794, in which he demonstrated that the puritanical regime that he imposed on his crew did not keep them from fighting effectively.
- In 1807 he became Commander-in-Chief of the Baltic Fleet and bombarded Copenhagen into surrender in the same year.
- In 1809 Gambier tarnished his honour at the Battle of Aix Roads by refusing to bring his big ships of the line into action after Lord Cochrane, finest of frigate captains, had scattered and demoralized the French in a preliminary attack with fireships.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/GambierIsland