4907 Pool Rd
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver, Coast, & Mountains
- Hardy Island - After Vice-Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy, baronet, RN. Hardy was captain of HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar, in which Lord Nelson died in his arms.
- Irvines Landing - After Charles Irvine, who became the first postmaster here in 1897 and left in 1904.
- Malaspina Strait - After Captain Alexandro Malaspina, an Italian who, with two ships of the Spanish Navy, explored widely in the Pacific from 1789 to 1794.
- He sailed along the BC coast in 1791 but never entered the waters east of Vancouver Island.
- For political reasons the Spaniards imprisoned Malaspina not long after his voyage. He was liberated and banished to Italy in 1803, where he died in 1809.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/GardenBay