50 Tenth St
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Harmac - After H.R. MacMillan (1885-1976), founder of the H.R. MacMillan Export Co. Ltd. (now part of MacMillan Bloedel Ltd.), which in 1948 built the pulp mill here.
- After taking his BSA from Toronto and his MScF from Yale (1908), MacMillan joined the Dominion Forestry Service, leaving it in 1912 to become the first Chief Forester of British Columbia.
- After making a survey for the province of potential lumber markets abroad, he left the government's service in 1916 and entered business, determined to take full advantage of the opportunities that he had discovered.
- The following years saw H.R. MacMillan emerge as by far the most powerful industrial magnate in the province.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Harmac