13312 Hwy 31
British Columbia Tourism Region : Kootenay Rockies
- Howser - This settlement was originally named Duncan City because of its location on the shore of Duncan Lake.
- After a post office (Duncan) was opened here in 1899, its mail was constantly being confused with that for Duncan's Station (now Duncan) on Vancouver Island.
- A change of name being ordered by Ottawa, the locals opted for Hauser, after a pioneer who had found gold in the area just a year before he and his partner went into the wilderness together, never to be seen again.
- In his letter to Ottawa, the postmaster misspelled the new name as Howser, and Howser it has remained.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Howser