47265 Hart Hwy GD
British Columbia Tourism Region : Northern BC
- Simon Fraser makes mention in his journal, in June 1806, of Carp Lake, 'where there are immense numbers of fish of the Carp kind.'
- Hammett Creek - After Tommy Hammett, long the HBC trader at McLeod Lake. Since company policy would not permit him to accept the cheques tendered by surveyors who came to his post for much-needed provisions, Hammett would put up the money himself.
- Iroqouis Creek - A number of Iroquois came west to British Columbia with the early fur traders as servants and as trappers.
- At one time there was a little Iroquois settlement in the Jasper area.
- This creek gets its name from the fact that an Iroquois, his wife, and two children were murdered here by two Carrier Indians who had warned him that he was poaching on their beaver territory.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/McLeodLake