4132 Trans-Canada Hwy
British Columbia Tourism Region : Thompson Okanagan
- Originally the san Poel (Sans Poil?) River. Now named after Louis (or Lewis) Campbell, an American cattle drover who began building a fine ranch here in the 1860s,
- one that ultimately extended for about six miles along the south bank of the South Thompson River.
- Monte Creek - The map in A.C. Anderson's Handbook and Map to the Gold Regions of Frazer's and Thompson's Rivers (c. 1858) has 'Monteé' where Monte Creek enters the South Thompson.
- Presumably this is a printer's error for 'Montée' (French la montée, meaning 'height of land'). The height of land in question is that between the Okanagan and South Thompson valleys, which had to be crossed by the early fur brigades.
- Monte Creek post office was formerly known as Duck and Pringle's. Duck Range and Ducks Meadow in this area take their names from the pioneering Duck family. Jacob Duck settled here in 1863.
- Neds Creek - After Edouard de Champ ('French Ned'), incinerated when his cabin burned down in 1873.
- Pritchard - When a post office was opened here in 1911, the original name of Pemberton Spur (after Arthur G. Pemberton, a local sawmill operator) was changed to Pritchard, after Walter P. Pritchard, who had farmed in the area since about 1904.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Pritchard