British Columbia Tourism Region : Northern BC
1633 Main St
Description From Owner:
- Collison Bay after Archdeacon William Henry Collison, the Anglican apostle to the Haidas, who began his missionary endeavours among them in 1876. Author of In the Wake of the War Canoe.
- Houston Stewart Channel - Formerly Barrell Sound. Named in 1853 by Captain J.C. Prevost, commanding HMS Virago, in compliment to his predecessor.
- Stewart had been a most popular captain, he and his wife being roundly cheered by the Virago's officers and crew when he went ashore after relinquishing command at Callao.
- Hoya Passage - From the Haida name for 'raven,' but the Haidas' own name for the passage means 'channel behind.'
- Huxley Island - Named by G.M. Dawson in 1878 after Thomas Henry Huxley (1825-95), the famous biologist.
- Ikeda Cove - After Arichika Ikeda, the Japanese who discovered copper here in 1906. Awaya, Ikeda and Co. subsequently operated a mine here.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page:
Have something to say about Sandspit / Collision Bay / Darwin Sound / Houston Stewart Channel / Hoya Passage / Huxley Island / Ikeda Cove?
Tell us, and we'll tell the world!
Named by G.M. Dawson in
1878 in honour of Juan Perez, who in 1774 discovered the Queen Charlotte Islands. (See Estevan Point.)
From the Haida Indian name used to denote the Cape St. James area. Its exact meaning is uncertain, though one source suggests that it may mean 'to the south.' Was formerly known as Prevost Island.
Named by G.M. Dawson after Sir William Logan (1798-1875), for many years director of the Geological Survey of Canada.
After Princess Louise, fourth daugh ter of Queen Victoria and wife of the Marquess of Lorne, Governor-General of Canada from 1878 to 1883.
Name transferred from Louscoone Point. This Haida word means 'good point' or 'nice point.'
A note on Captain Duncan's 1788 chart of Luxana Bay, in the Dalrymple atlas, reads, 'this bay was named by Captain Duncan "Lux Aena" which, in the Indian language, signifies "Handsome Women."'
). Named by G.M. Dawson in 1878 after Sir Charles Lyell (1797-1875), the famous geologist.
After Dr. C. McLean Fraser (1872-1946), at one time director of the biological research station at Departure Bay and for many years head of UBC'S Department of Zoology.