Uncha Lake Rd
British Columbia Tourism Region : Northern BC
- 'Captain Harry ' - In remote Indian villages, the 'captain' is the religious assistant who serves in the place of the priest, who can make a visit only once or twice a year.
- When Chess Lyons passed through this country in 1941, he found Captain Harry the Indian with whom one dealt on the Algacho reserve.
- Chelaslie Arm - from the Carrier Indian language. Probably means 'lake surrounded by timber.'
- Euchu Reach / Lake - This Carrier Indian name means 'first lake.'
- Cheslatta Lake - from the Carrier Indian word meaning either 'top of small mountain' or 'small rock mountain at east side.'
- Chikamin is Chinook jargon for money or silver. Presumably the name was given because of mineral wealth sought in the area, or maybe because of the glittering appearance of the snow-capped mountains.
- Kidprice Lake - After 'Kid' Price, an early prospector. He died in Victoria in 1958, aged about 100.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Southbank