3705 Riverview Ave
British Columbia Tourism Region : Thompson Okanagan
- Dot - This little station was given the nickname of Dalton P. Marpole, who owned land nearby. This Marpole was the son of Richard Marpole, formerly BC general superintendent of the CPR.
- Pimainus Creek - From the Thompson Indian word meaning 'the flat underneath or near a steep rise.' A flat stretch of land along the Thompson River here is hemmed in by hills.
- Pukaist Creek - From the Thompson Indian word for 'white rock.'
- Shaw Spring - Named in 1930 when W.H. Shaw applied for and received the water rights to this spring.
- Skwaha Lake - The name of this lake and the nearby ecological reserve comes from the Thompson Indian language. Meaning not certain but may pertain to black Spanish moss.
- Spaist Mountain - From the Thompson Indian word that means 'burnt.'
- Spences Bridge - This settlement was originally known as Cook's Ferry, since a ferry was operated here by Mortimer Cook between 1862 and 1865.
- The ferry was replaced in the latter year by a toll bridge built under government contract by Thomas Spence.
- Venables Valley - After Captain Cavendish Venables, formerly of the 74th Highlanders, who secured a military land grant in the area around 1861.
- An alcoholic, he habitually wore a greasy army blue coat with tarnished gold braid and a matching cap. Neighbours derisively called his estate 'Mount Freeze Out' since its altitude exposed it to frequent frosts.
- A visitor found him sitting down with his solitary Indian helper to a meal consisting of a soup plate full of radishes, a little salt, and a bowl of whisky.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/SpencesBridge