British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Named by Vancouver in 1792 after John Stuart, third Earl of Bute (1713-92). An early favourite of George III, Bute was his Prime Minister in 1762-3. He was a civilized man with interests ranging from literature to botany.
- Mount Doogie Dowler - After Doogie Dowler, from 1949 to 1983 the well-known and widely respected operator of the store at Heriot Bay. The mountain can be seen from the store.
- Hole in the Wall - The Mainland Comox Indian word for this small round cave in a cliff near high-tide line means 'Raven's chamberpot.'
- Homathko River - From the Mainland Comox Indian word meaning 'swift water.'
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/StuartIsland