777 FRASER ST
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver, Coast, & Mountains
- Named after Chapman's Bar, which in turn was named after the owner of a roadhouse on the old Cariboo Road. The roadhouse stood on the site of today's Alexandra Lodge.
- Dogwood Valley - In 1972 local residents successfully petitioned to have the name of Choate changed to Dogwood Valley. Dogwood trees are found in the area, and the dogwood flower is the floral emblem of British Columbia.
- The CPR continues to call its nearby station Choate .
- Emory Creek - After one Emory, who washed for gold on nearby Emory Bar in the Fraser River before 1859.
- Hills Bar - James Moore, who belonged to the first party of gold-hunters in the late spring of 1858, left the following account of the naming of Hill's Bar:
- “We camped for lunch on a bar about ten miles from Hope to cook lunch, and while doing so one of our party noticed particles of gold in the moss that was growing on the rocks.
- He got a pan and washed a pan of this moss and got a good prospect, and after our gastric wants were satisfied we all prospected the bar and found it a rich bar of gold.
- With our crude mode of working with rock ers we made on an average of fifty dollars per day to the man. We named this bar in honor of the man that washed the first pan of moss, Hill's Bar.”
- To the Halkomelern Indians, Hill's Bar was Qualark, meaning it was a good place to barbecue salmon heads.
- Lady Franklin Rock - When Lady Franklin, the widow of Sir John Franklin, the Arctic explorer, was on this coast in 1861, she travelled up the Fraser River to Yale, where a banner proclaimed the entrance to the Fraser Canyon to be 'Lady Franklin's Pass.'
- Her name now remains only in connection with the great rock in the river here. The Indians believed that the chief of a band of water monsters was changed into this rock by The Transformer.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Yale