1100 Patricia Blvd
British Columbia Tourism Region : Cariboo Chilcotin Coast
- Hoodoo Lakes - So named by Forin Campbell in 1910 when his survey of the area was dogged by misfortunes: men with cut feet, lack of horses, and early snowstorms that left them stranded here until November.
- Nadsilnich Lake - Based on a Carrier Indian word possibly meaning 'swampy willow.'
- Norman Lake - This and nearby Dahl Lake are named after two men who came to the area around 1908 over the old Telegraph Trail from Ashcroft.
- Besides homesteading they trapped to eke out a living. An old-timer remembered them and the brides they brought with them into the wilderness 'the women were frightened and clung to each other.'
- Opatcho Lake - After an Indian sleigh dog renowned for his strength. He could pull by himself a sleigh that would normally require a team.
- Prince George - Originally Fort George. This fort was founded by Simon Fraser of the NWC in 1807 and named after King George Ill, the reigning sovereign.
- The Carrier Indian name for this point at the junction of the Nechako and Fraser Rivers was 'Thle-et-leh,' meaning 'the confluence.'
- In 1862 a visitor to Fort George described it as a 'dreary Hudson Bay Company's trading post, infested with dogs.'
- In 1910 there was a real estate boom in expectation of the coming of the GTPR (now part of CNR). The construction of the railway led to a prolonged and complicated struggle among three competing townsites.
- However, the GTP's own new townsite, Prince George, soon drew people away from rival Central Fort George and South Fort George.
- When the first civic elections were held in 1915, the name of Prince George was chosen over Fort George by a vote of 153 to 13.
- Tabor Lake - After Clement Tabor, the first landowner at the south end of the lake.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/HoodooLakes