1394 Pine Avenue
British Columbia Tourism Region : Kootenay Rockies
- Mount Heinze - After F. Augustus Heinze, American speculator and capitalist, who in 1895-6 built the first smelter at Trail.
- Trail - Originally known as Trail Creek Landing. Trail Creek got its name from the fact that the old Dewdney Trail followed it down to the Columbia River.
- The history of Trail really began in 1891 when the first ore from the nearby Le Roi mine was taken to the landing here for shipment, via the Columbia, to the smelter at Butte, Montana.
- The same year 'Colonel' Eugene S. Topping had a townsite surveyed on the land that he and Frank Hanna had preempted at the mouth of Trail Creek.
- The settlement's future was assured when the American capitalist F. Augustus Heinze established a smelter here in 1895. Three years later Heinze's smelter was purchased by the CPR.
- . It is now owned by Cominco, which the CPR sold to a consortium of companies.
- The post office of Trail Creek, which opened in 1891, became Trail in 1897. Trail was incorporated as a city in 1901, Topping becoming the first mayor. (See also Hanna Creek, Topping Creek.)
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/9388.html