810 9th Avenue South
British Columbia Tourism Region : Kootenay Rockies
- Chaba Peak - Stoney Indian word for 'beaver.'
- Feuz Peak - This and nearby Hasler Peak, both part of Mount Dawson, were named by Professor Charles Fay and Herschel C. Parker of the Appalachian Mountain Club after the guides who accompanied them in 1899 on the first ascent of Dawson.
- Edouard Feuz Sr. and Christian Hasler were two of the Swiss guides brought out by the CPR to encourage wealthy alpinists to make expeditions to Glacier, Yoho, and Banff National Parks. These men lived in Edelweiss, a 'Swiss village' just outside Golden.
- Golden - Known in earlier days as The Cache or Kicking Horse Flats. Around 1883, when the CPR's end of steel was reaching west of Banff,
- a syndicate of crooked mining promoters with very rich samples of silver ore from Montana began showing them around Calgary, saying that they were samples from their claims near Castle Mountain.
- They succeeded in starting a rush, and a small mining town named Silver City came into existence where there had been only a railway construction camp.
- When the men at the Kicking Horse Flats camp learned of the new city, they were determined not to be outdone and, on the suggestion of F.W. Aylmer, renamed their settlement Golden City. After a time the little village dropped the 'City.'
- Goodfellow Creek - After the Reverend John C. Goodfellow (1890-1968), for many years the United Church minister in Princeton.
- Keenly interested in British Columbia's history, he tried to preserve the Indian pictographs in the Princeton area using protective coatings of lacquer.
- Hospital Creek - During construction of the CPR, there was a hospital here.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Golden