914 - 8th Avenue
British Columbia Tourism Region : Kootenay Rockies
- Delphine Creek - Named after the wife of pioneer settler George Starke.
- Mount Farnham - This fine peak, over 11,000 feetor 3,352 metres high, is named after Paulding Farnharn from New York.
- Between 1898 and 1904, he exhausted his considerable private means while trying to make a success of the nearby Red Line (Ptarmigan) mines.
- His wife was a distinguished sculptor. Of him it was written: 'Mr. Farnham stands out like his mountain among mining men in this — he lost his fortune like a man and paid every cent he owed (an unusual thing with defunct mining companies).'
- Horsethief Creek - Commemorates the capture here, in the 1880s, of a rogue who had stolen horses from some whisky pedlars.
- Invermere - In 1890, in consequence of some local mining excitement, Edmund T. Johnson laid out a townsite here and named it Copper City.
- In 1900 the Canterbury Townsite Company took over the site and renamed it after the famous cathedral city in England.
- Finally the Columbia Valley Irrigated Fruit Lands Company acquired the site, and the name was changed to Invermere by the Hon. R. Randolph Bruce. The name Invermere means 'at the mouth of a lake.'
- Mount Joffre - After Marshal J.J.C. Joffre (1852-1931), Commander-in-Chief of the French Army on the western front 1914-16.
- Stanford Range - Named by Captain Palliser in honour of Edward Stanford, English geographer and map publisher.
- Toby Creek - After Dr. Levi Toby, from Colvile, Washington, who prospected here in 1864.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/DelphineCreek