477 Stuart Drive West
British Columbia Tourism Region : Northern BC
- Carrier Lake named after the Carrier Indians, who received their name from a curious custom.
- When a man died, his widow was required to gather up the few pieces of bone remaining after his cremation, put them in a leather bag, and carry them on her back everywhere until
- until the kinsmen of the deceased had accumulated enough food and property to hold a potlatch in his memory.
- Fort St. James - Founded by Simon Fraser in 1806, it was referred to as the Stuart Lake post until 1822, when it became Fort St. James. The reason for the new name is not known.
- Governor Simpson, visiting here in 1828, described the post as 'the capital of Western Caledonia.' It was in fact the administrative centre for the HBC'S department of New Caledonia.
- The original buildings have disappeared, though five dating from the late nineteenth century survive. The fort has been restored by the National and Historic Parks Branch.
- The Indian name for the site, 'Na'-Kra-ztli' (Nakasleh) means 'arrows floating by' and refers to a legendary battle with dwarfs that left the Stuart River full of arrows where it leaves the lake.
- Inzana Lake - Said to be from the name of an Indian man, Inzanum.
- Middle River - Refers to its position. Driftwood River runs south into Takla Lake; Tachie River runs out of Trembleur Lake and southeast into Stuart Lake; and in the middle of this waterway is Middle River linking Takla Lake with Trembleur Lake.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/FortStJames