380 Main Street
British Columbia Tourism Region : Thompson Okanagan
- The meaning of the name of this important food-gathering area of the Thompson Indians has frequently been given as 'perpetual root place.'
- However, the true meaning, according to Annie York, who spoke the Thompson language, is 'covered' (by plants with edible roots).
- An alternative translation given by an elderly Thompson woman is that it means 'walled, enclosed all around.'
- Certainly this is a good description of the deep valleys that surround most of Botanie Mountain.
- James Teit, in his fine work 'The Thompson Indians of B.C., wrote that 'Botani Valley ... has been from time immemorial a gathering-place for the upper divisions of the IThompson] tribe, chiefly for root-digging during the months of May and June.
- Sometimes over a thousand Indians, representing all the divisions of the tribe, would gather there.' G.M. Dawson remarked in 1891 that the root chiefly sought was that of the tiger lily (L columbianum).
- Note the spelling of Bootahnie Indian Reserve, which gives a clue to the Indian pronunciation of the name.
- Jackass Mountain - The old Cariboo Road, narrow and without any protective parapet, came around a corner here with a drop of 500 feet to the Fraser below.
- According to an old story, a frightened woman passenger screamed at Steve Tingley, the famous driver of the Cariboo coach, 'What happens if we go over the edge, Mr. Tingley?'
- To which he replied imperturbably, 'Lady, that all depends on what sort of life you've been leading.'
- Among those things that did go over the edge in the days before the trail was widened into a road was a jackass laden with miners' goods, presumably en route to the Cariboo goldfields.
- Kwoiek Creek - From the Thompson Indian word meaning 'gouged out,' referring to a large chunk missing from the canyon wall.
- Lytton - Site of the Indian village of Camchin. Camchin, a Thompson Indian word, means either 'cross mouth' (referring to crossing the mouth of the Thompson River) or 'shelf that crosses over,' there being flat areas on both sides of the Fraser River.
- The short-lived HBC'S Fort Dallas was also located here. On 11 November 1858, Governor Douglas wrote that, 'as a merited compliment and mark of respect,' he had named the settlement after Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Secretary of State for the Colonies.
- Colonel Moody observed somewhat pessimistically, 'It will require much perseverance and determination on our parts to prevent 'Lytton' becoming fixed as 'Lyttonville' or 'Lytton City'. The latter is not bad, if it was not so intensely American.'
- Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1803-73) is remembered today chiefly as a novelist and dramatist. Among his many works are The Last Days of Pompeii and Richelieu. As Colonial Secretary he took a real interest in the infant colony of British Columbia.
- When the first detachment of Royal Engineers sailed from Southampton in 1858, he travelled down to Cowes and boarded the ship for a visit, during which he spoke to the men, emphasizing his concern for their welfare and his feeling they had to exert.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/BotanieMountain