601 Bancroft Street
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
British Columbia Tourism Region : Thompson Okanagan
- In 1862 Clement Francis Cornwall, a Cambridge BA and a barrister of the Inner Temple, arrived in British Columbia accompanied by his brother, Henry Pennant Cornwall, also a graduate of Cambridge.
- That year they established a ranch, which they named Ashcroft after their family home in England. They grew wheat, installed a mill, and sold flour to the packers and miners passing by on the Cariboo Road.
- Ashcroft became a major stopping-place for travellers between Kamloops and Spence's Bridge, and the Cornwalls grew famous for their hospitality. Hundreds of people arrived for the annual races held on Cornwall Flats
- (the brothers had imported an Arabian stud). The Ashcroft Hunt pursued the coyote instead of the fox, but its hounds had been brought around the Horn.
- When the CPR named its nearby station Ashcroft, the Cornwalls added 'Manor' to the name of their home to distinguish between the two Ashcrofts.
- During the time of the Crown colony, C.F. Cornwall was a member of the Legislative Council. When British Columbia entered the Canadian federation, he became one of the senators representing the province in Ottawa.
- In 1881 he resigned his senatorship and began a six-year period as Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia.
- …from G.P.V. Akrigg and Helen B. Akrigg British Columbia Place Names 3rd Edition 1997
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Ashcroft