1229 Esquimalt Road
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Esquimalt - From the Straits Salish word meaning 'place of gradually shoaling water,' referring to the mudflats at the mouth of Mill Stream at the head of the harbour.
- In 1790 Sublieutenant Quimper named the harbour Puerto de Cordova, after the Mexican Viceroy. Later this name was transferred to a bay northeast of Victoria that had been known as Cormorant Bay, and the Indian name was restored to Esquimalt Harbour.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Esquimalt