15 Maple Road
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Named by Captain G.H. Richards, RN, in 1860 after HMS Alert, a screw corvette with seventeen guns, at that time serving on the Pacific Station.
- Cormorant Island after HMS Cormorant, a paddle sloop that was in these waters in 1846.
- Crease Island after Sir Henry Pering Pellew Crease (1823-1905), for ten years Attorney-General and for twenty-five years a judge of the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
- Hanson Island - After James Hanson, who arrived on this coast in 1792 as lieutenant aboard HMS Chatham and later that year was transferred by Captain Vancouver to the command of his supply ship, the Daedalus.
- Kokish River - This name probably comes from the Kwakwala Indian word meaning 'notched beach' or 'something broken —the beach.'
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/AlertBay