2440 Sidney Avenue
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Coles Bay after John Coles, who first came to British Columbia in 1851 as a midshipman on HMS Thetis.
- He left the navy after the Crimean War and returned to British Columbia, living on his farm near Coles Bay from 1857 to 1866 and representing Saanich in the first Legislative Assembly.
- Back in England he was the curator of the Royal Geographical Society for many years. The name of the Saanich Indian reserve at Coles Bay, Paquechin, means 'drop off.'
- Gooch Island - After Thomas Sherlock Gooch, second lieutenant on HMS Satellite when she was on this coast from 1857 to 1860.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Sidney