4850 Argyle Street
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Port Alberni post office was opened in 1900 as New Alberni and had its name changed to Port Alberni in 1910.
- After Don Pedro de Alberni, who commanded the tiny military force that Lieutenant Francisco Eliza carried with him when he sailed from Mexico in 1790 to establish a Spanish base at Nootka.
- Alberni was the first agriculturalist in the area, successfully growing vegetables in a garden at Nootka.
- In 1793 the little fort here was garrisoned by two corporals and eighteen soldiers detached from Alberni's company, but Alberni himself had returned to Mexico.
- ASH RIVER, north of Alberni. After Dr. John Ash, the Victoria physician who was one of the sponsors of the Vancouver Island Exploration Expedition of 1864. Later Dr. Ash became Provincial Secretary and the first Minister of Mines of B.C.
- Cameron Lake named after David Cameron, Chief Justice of Vancouver Island. Cameron started work as a cloth merchant in Perth, Scotland. Later he grew sugarcane in Demerara (Guyana), where he married Cecilia, sister of Sir James Douglas.
- In 1853 Douglas obtained for him a post in the management of the HBC coal mines at Nanaimo. Soon after Cameron and his family arrived at Nanaimo, Douglas appointed him as a temporary judge.
- In 1856 the Colonial Office, on Douglas's recommendation, approved Cameron's appointment as Chief Justice of Vancouver Island, an action that contributed to the charges of nepotism levied against Douglas
- In fact, Cameron was a successful judge, even though he had never been trained in the law.
- Della Falls - These falls, really a series of cascades descending 1,443 feet (440 metres), have been claimed to be the highest in Canada. They were named by Joe Drinkwater, a prospector, after his wife, Della, whom he married in 1899.
- Fossili Park - Takes its name from Fossli, east of EidOord, Norway. Fossli is the Norwegian word for a waterfall.
- Great Central Lake - This is not only a large lake but is also the deepest on Vancouver Island (1,100 feet).
- Hohm Island - From a Nootka Indian word meaning 'blue grouse.' The island is also known as Observatory Island.
- Hoik Island - From a Nootka Indian word meaning 'willow grouse.' The island is also known as Deadman Island.
- Klitsa Mountain - From the Nootka Indian word meaning 'always white.'
- Port Alberni - Port Alberni post office was opened in 1900 as New Alberni and had its name changed to Port Alberni in 1910. For the story of Pedro de Alberni, see Alberni Inlet.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/PortAlberni