7360 Columbia Street
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- After Vice-Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy, RN (1769-1839).
- As captain of HMS Victory, he held the dying Lord Nelson in his arms during the Battle of Trafalgar. After retiring from the sea, he became Governor of Greenwich Hospital, the home for old sailors maintained by the British government.
- God's Pocket Marine Provincial Park - Whereas other safe havens known to mariners as God's Pocket have had their names bowdlerized, this one survives unspoiled.
- Goletas Channel - Goletas is Spanish for 'schooners.' In 1792 Galiano and Valdes named this passage after their two goletas, Sutil and Mexicana.
- Hope Island - After Vice-Admiral Sir James Hope, Commander-in-Chief of the North America and West Indies Station, RN, 1864-7.
- Kains Lake - After Torn Kains, Surveyor-General of British Columbia (1891-8). He was ahead of his time in urging phototopographic surveying in mountainous country.
- Keogh River - This Kwakwala Indian name means 'steelhead river.'
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/PortHardy