400 Centre Road
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver, Coast, & Mountains
- After Admiral Sir George Bowyer (1740-1800). Serving as rear-admiral under Lord Howe during the British naval victory known as 'The Glorious First of June,' he lost a leg but won a pension of 1,000 pounds and a baronetage.
- Deeks Creek - After John F. Deeks, whose Deeks Sand and Gravel Company began working here in 1908.
- Mount Harvey - After Captain John Harvey, who commanded HMS Brunswick at 'The Glorious First of June,' Howe's victory over the French. Severely wounded, Harvey died at Portsmouth on 30 June 1794.
- Howe Sound - Named by Captain Vancouver after Admiral the Rt. Hon. Richard Scrope, Earl Howe (1726-99). Howe won his most famous victory in 1794 in the battle that has gone down in the annals of the Royal Navy as 'The Glorious First of June.'
- On that day he not only defeated a superior French fleet but also captured seven ships of the line.
- When he returned from this great victory, the royal family visited him aboard his flagship, HMS Queen Charlotte, and the King presented him with a sword with a diamond-studded hilt valued at 3,000 guineas.
- Because of the consideration that Lord Howe showed his crews, he was known as 'The Sailors' Friend.' Their nickname for him was 'Black Dick.'
- On the morning of his great victory, one of his seamen was heard to say, 'I think we shall have a fight today. Black Dick has been smiling.'
- In 1859-60 Captain Richards, RN, named many of the islands, points, and mountains in Howe Sound after officers and ships that had seen service on 'The Glorious First of June.' 'Thus,' as Captain Walbran has noted, 'this sound is a record of the battle'
- Irby Point - After Rear-Admiral the Hon. Frederick Paul Irby, who served as a midshipman on HMS Montagu at Lord Howe's great victory, 'The Glorious First of June,' 1794.
- Lions Gate - The landmark mountains to the north now called the Lions were originally known as either the Sisters or Sheba's Paps.
- Sometime around 1890 Judge Gray, noticing their resemblance to couchant lions, suggested that their name be changed and that the entrance to Vancouver harbour be called 'The Lions' Gate.'
- The name found acceptance perhaps because of the suggestion that here was a British equivalent to San Francisco's Golden Gate
- According to the notes of Major Matthews in the Vancouver City Archives, the Indian name for the Lions, 'Chee-chee-yoh-hee,' means 'the twins.'
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/LionsBay