453 West 12th Avenue
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver, Coast, & Mountains
- Elsje Point - Pronounced 'El-shuh.' This point, at the end of the Vancouver Maritime Museum's breakwater, commemorates Mrs. W.M. Armstrong, née Elsje De Ridder (1918-81), a former chairwoman of the Museum's board of trustees.
- Daughter of a former conductor of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, she was a warm-hearted and accomplished lady who,
- among many contributions to the cultural life of Vancouver, brought to prominence the city's Community Music School, now the Vancouver Academy of Music.
- English Bay - This and nearby Spanish Bank commemorate the meeting of the English (under Captain Vancouver) and the Spanish (under Galiano and Valdes) in this area in June 1792.
- False Creek - So named by Captain G.H. Richards, RN, in the late 1850s presumably because, despite its promising entrance, this small inlet soon ended in mudflats.
- . (In England the word 'creek' applies to any narrow indentation in a coast.) Galiano's name for Boundary Bay, Ensenada del Engefio (Mistake Bay), is very similar.
- Ferguson Point - This promontory in Stanley Park is named after Alfred Graham Ferguson, a Vancouver building contractor devoted to the development of Stanley Park.
- In 1888 he became the first chairman of the Vancouver Parks Board since he was an American, the swearing-in ceremony was quietly dispensed with. He died in San Francisco in 1903.
- Burrard Inlet named by Captain Vancouver in June 1792 after his friend Sir Harry Burrard, RN (1765-1840), a former shipmate aboard HMS Europa in the West Indies in 1785.
- Burrard changed his name in 1795 to Burrard-Neale in consequence of marriage to the heiress Grace Elizabeth Neale, lady-in-waiting to Queen Charlotte.
- Sir Harry was promoted to vice-admiral in 1814 and served as commander-in-chief of the Mediterranean fleet from 1823 to 1826. He became admiral in 1830.
- The Spaniards, who explored the inlet about the same time as Vancouver, called it Boca de Floridablanca in honour of their Prime Minister. To the Indians it was, apparently, Sasamat. (See Sasamat Lake.)
- Coward's Cove - This small cove with its arresting name is simply a dredged area within the outer end of a breakwater, thus providing a mooring ground for fishing vessels.
- The name mocks those who remain in shelter here when wind and waves make rather risky further progress out of the mouth of the Fraser River.
- Eburne - W.H. Eburne arrived in British Columbia in 1875 and, in 1881, after attempts at farming, he opened a store on the mainland, opposite Sea Island.
- In 1885 he moved, taking over Sexsmith's store on Lulu Island and becoming postmaster of the North Arm post office, housed in the store.
- In 1892 he moved his premises to Sea Island, close to the Marpole Bridge, taking with him the post office, which was renamed Eburne. The mainland portion of Eburne became Marpole in 1916.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/BurrardInlet