6911 No. 3 Road
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver, Coast, & Mountains
- Deas Island - After John Sullivan Deas, a mulatto tinsmith who was foreman at a cannery here in the 1870s. He originally came to British Columbia as a member of the Royal Engineers.
- Iona Island - Originally Mole Island, then McMillan Island after Donald McMillan (1848-1901), a pioneer settler, and finally renamed by McMillan after Iona, the island in the Inner Hebrides where St. Columba in 563 AD began the christianizing the Scots.
- Lulu Island - Named by Colonel R.C. Moody in 1862 after Miss Lulu Sweet, a young actress in the first theatrical company to visit British Columbia.
- Richmond - In 1861 Hugh McRoberts, who had come to British Columbia from Australia, established Richmond Farm here, its name being chosen by one of his daughters, who took it from a favourite place in Australia.
- In September 1862 the British Columbian printed 'A Visit to Richmond,' a fact that negates the claim of Mary Boyd, wife of the first 'warden' or reeve of Richmond,
- that the settlement was named in honour of her birthplace in Yorkshire the Boyds did not arrive in the area until 1863. Richmond became a city in 1990.
- Sturgeon Bank - Named by Captain Vancouver 'in consequence of our having purchased of the natives some excellent fish of that kind, weighing from fourteen to two hundred pounds each.'
- Tilbury Island - After Tilbury, England, where a fort once guarded the Thames approach below London. Later it became famous for its docks.
- Woodwards Landing - After Nathaniel Woodward, who with his son Daniel settled here in 1874.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/RichmondBC