7170 Cheam Avenue, Agissiz
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver, Coast, & Mountains
- Agassiz is a small community located in the Eastern Fraser Valley region of British Columbia, Canada, about 97 kilometres east of Vancouver and immediately north of the city of Chilliwack.
- The only town within the jurisdiction of the District Municipality of Kent, it contains the majority of Kent's population.
- Agassiz is named after after Captain Lewis N. Agassiz. Having sold his commission in the Royal Welch Fusiliers, he emigrated first to Prince Edward Island and then to Ontario.
- In 1858 he arrived in Victoria among the thousands of gold-seekers pouring in from California. After some time in the Cariboo goldfields, he turned to farming in the Fraser Valley.
- Preempting land in the Agassiz Valley in 1862, Captain Agassiz and his family finally took up residence here in 1867, giving his place the ultra-English name of Ferny Coombe.
- When the CPR was built, the station here was named Amassiz.
- …from G.P.V. Akrigg and Helen B. Akrigg British Columbia Place Names 3rd Edition 1997
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/9531.html