8550 Young Road
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver, Coast, & Mountains
- The name of the local Indian band and of various geographical features. This Halkomelem word has the sense of quieter water on the head,' or 'travel by way of a backwater or slough.'
- The name was originally pronounced ch.ihl-KWAY-uhk. Early spellings of the name include Chillwayhook, Chil-whey-uk, Chilwayook, and Silawack.
- Luckakuck Creek - Originally a small springwater stream, this creek has a Halkornelem name meaning 'to straddle a log.'
- Minto 'Landing' - In 1900 the little sternwheel ferry Minto was built at Harrison for C.R. Menten, who used it for transporting passengers and freight between Chilliwack and the CPR's station on the north side of the Fraser River.
- Originally known as Menten's Landing, it gradually became Minto Landing and finally Minto.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Chilliwack