British Columbia Tourism Region : Cariboo Chilcotin Coast
- After Chartres Brew (1815-70), Crimean War veteran and inspector of constabulary, Cork, Ireland, who was appointed in 1858 first inspector of police for the infant colony of British Columbia.
- A year later he was appointed Chief Gold Commissioner. He ended up a county court judge at Barkerville. The epitaph, said to have been written by Judge Begbie, on Brew's grave in the Barkerville cemetery reads:
- 'A man imperturbable in courage and temper, endowed with a great and varied administrative capacity, a most ready wit, and most pure integrity and a most human heart.'
- Cunningham Creek - after William Cunningham, from Kentucky, who found gold on this creek during the Cariboo rush.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/MountBrew