11330 CLAM BAY RD
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Houstoun Passage - After Captain Wallace Houstoun, commanding HMS Trincomalee on the Pacific Station 1852-7.
- Kuper Island - After Captain Augustus Leopold Kuper, RN (1809-85), commanding HMS Thetis on the Pacific Station from 1851 to 1853. In 1864 Kuper, now a rear-admiral, led a combined force of
- British, American, French, and Dutch ships in a successful action against the Japanese.
- Lamalchi Bay - Named after the band of Cowichan Indians that lived here. Their village on this bay was bombarded by HM gunboat Forward in 1863 during the hunt for the murderers of Frederick Marks and his daughter on Saturna Island.
- Lamalchi is an Island Halkomelem word that may contain the meaning of 'slumped' and 'dirty water.' Alternatively it may mean 'large tidal flat.'
- Penelakut Spit - Takes its name from an Island Halkomelem word referring to 'something buried.'
- In 1927 Jack Fleetwood was told by an old Kuper Island Indian that on this spit two large poles were once partly buried vertically in the sand and that between them a huge net was suspended at certain times of the year to catch migrating waterfowl.
- Trincomali Channel - After HMS Trincomalee, on the Pacific Station 1852-6.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/PenelakutIsland