109 PURVIS LANE
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Ganges Harbour - Earlier known as Admiralty Bay, it takes its name from HMS Ganges, eighty-four guns, flagship on the RN's Pacific Station 1857-60.
- The Ganges, built in 1821, was the last British sailing battleship commissioned for service outside home waters.
- Money Makers Rock - Boaters put holes in their hulls so often here that the local repair yard takes in plenty of money.
- Mount Lehman - For over a century, the locals have refused to apply to their Maxwell's Mountain its official name of Baynes Peak, after Rear-Admiral Baynes, RN.
- Accordingly, in 1938, they insisted on this name for their park, memorializing the Maxwell family, which had lived continuously on the island since the mid-1860s.
- Saltspring Island - The name was applied early by HBC officers who were interested in the possibility of getting salt from the briny springs on this island.
- In 1859 Captain Richards named this Admiral Island and its highest peak Mount Baynes, in honour of Rear-Admiral Baynes, then in command of the Pacific Station.
- The name Saltspring Island continued to be used by the islanders, however, and in 1905 it was made the official name of the island.
- Southey Point - Named in 1859 after James L. Southey, RN, secretary to Rear-Admiral Baynes.
- Mount Tuam - From the Straits Salish Indian word that means 'flanked by the sea' or 'facing the sea.'
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/GangesHarbour