1610 ROBSON ST
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver, Coast, & Mountains
Description From Owner:
- After F. Brockton, senior engineer of 1-1M surveying ship Plumper. In 1859 Captain Richards of the Plumper reported to Governor Douglas that Brockton, exploring the area of today's Stanley Park, had found coal in nearby Coal Harbour.
- Stanley Park - Originally known as Coal Peninsula because of the coal deposits within its boundaries. It was early set aside as a military reservation where fortifications could guard the entrance to Vancouver harbour.
- In 1886 the Vancouver city council, with admirable foresight, petitioned the federal government for a lease of the land. The lease was granted in perpetuity for a fee of $1 a year.
- In September 1888 Lord Stanley of Preston, Governor-General of Canada, opened the park named after him.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/BrocktonPoint