#1 Shearwater Road
British Columbia Tourism Region : Cariboo Chilcotin Coast
- Dawsons Landing - After Jimmy Dawson, who ran a gas station and general store here with his wife, Jean, for many years. 'A short man but a lovable person who got on well with everybody.'
- Cape Caution - Wrote Captain Vancouver, 'This cape, from the dangerous navigation in its vicinity, I distinguished by the name of Cape Caution.'
- Chic Chic Lake - Chic chic is Chinook jargon for any wheeled vehicle, such as a wagon. It is rather unlikely that this name owes anything to the chickens that Franz Heinrich, an early settler here, raised.
- Chuckwalla River from the Oowekyala Indian word meaning 'short river' as opposed to nearby Kilbella River, meaning 'long river.'
- Darby Channel after Dr. George Darby, for many years the much loved and respected medical missionary at Bella Bella. He used this channel when travelling to and from the summer hospital he maintained on Rivers Inlet.
- Fitz Hugh Sound - Named 'Fitzhugh Sound' in 1786 by Captain James Hanna, who, sailing from China, became the first man to come to the British Columbia coast to trade for furs.
- His Fitzhugh was probably William Fitzhugh, a partner of Captain John Meares in the latter's expedition of the same year.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/DawsonsLanding