British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Franklin River - Named in 1864 for Selirn Franklin, auctioneer, real estate dealer, political figure in Victoria, and chairman of the Exploration Committee, which backed Dr. Robert Brown's Vancouver Island Exploration Expedition of that year.
- Hannah Mountain - From the Nootka Indian word meaning 'naked'; in other words, this is ‘Bare Mountain’.
- Henderson Lake - After Captain John Henderson of the barquentine Woodpecker, who in 1860 brought from England the machinery for the Alberni Saw Mill Co.
- The Woodpecker soon became a total wreck off the mouth of the Columbia River, and for a few years Captain Henderson commanded coastal ships.
- This lake was named by Dr. Robert Brown, who first learned of its existence from Captain Henderson.
- Kildonan - The first fish cannery on the west coast of Vancouver Island was erected here in 1903. After the Wallace Bros. Packing Co. acquired the plant in 1910, the company named it after Kildonan in the brothers' native Scotland.
- Nahmint River - Named by the explorer John Buttle after the Nahmint Indians.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Kildonan