British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Entrance to Strait of Juan de Fuca. Named by Quimper in 1790, almost certainly after Antonio Bonilla, secretary to the Spanish royal government in Mexico.
- Botanical Beach: As early as 1900 the abundant intertidal marine life led the University of Minnesota's Dr. Josephine Tildon to establish a marine research station here.
- Access was difficult (steamship from Victoria to Port Renfrew, then a long, very muddy, and narrow trail), and the station closed in 1907 when promised trail improvements failed to materialize.
- Caycuse River from the Nitinaht Indian word meaning 'place where they fix up canoes.'
- Edinburgh Mountain - Named by a party of Scots who staked mineral claims in the area.
- Gordon River - After Commander (later Admiral) George Thomas Gordon, on this coast with HMS Cormorant in 1846 and HMS Driver in 1850.
- Hemmingsen Creek - After Matt Hemmingsen, a Wisconsin lumberman who came to British Columbia in 1906 and introduced high-lead logging on Vancouver Island.
- Port Renfrew - Port Renfrew is on the inlet known as Port San Juan (named Puerto de San Juan by Quimper in 1790).
- As mail addressed to Port San Juan kept being misdirected to the San Juan Islands in the United States, in 1895 the settlers at Port San Juan decided to name their post office Port Renfrew in honour of Lord Renfrew,
- who at one time planned to settle Scottish crofters in the San Juan Valley.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/PortRenfrew