British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Lyall Harbour - After Dr. David Lyall, surgeon on HM survey ship Plumper, 1857-9.
- Narvaez Bay - After José Maria Narvaez, commander of the Saturnina, who explored these waters in 1791.
- Plumper Sound - After HMS Plumper, an auxiliary steam sloop of 484 tons, carrying twelve guns, which arrived at Esquimalt under the command of Captain G.H. Richards on 9 November 1857.
- Richards initiated a detailed survey of this coast that was not completed until 1870. In January 1861 the Plumper sailed for England, her officers having. transferred to the newly arrived HMS Hecate.
- In 1863 Captain Richards returned to England with the Hecate, leaving Commander Daniel Pender to complete the survey, using the historic steamship Beaver, which had been leased from the HBC.
- Samuel Island - After Dr. Samuel Campbell, assistant surgeon, HMS Plumper. (See Campbell Bay.)
- Saturna Island - Named in 1791 after the Saturnina, a small Spanish naval ship of seven guns that, under the command of José Maria Narvaez, explored these waters.
- As early as 1862, Saturnina Island had become corrupted into Saturna Island.
- Tumbo Island - By brilliant research Peter Murray was able to track down the origin of this name, so long a mystery (see the Islander, 11 August 1991, M3).
- Murray found that the island was named in 1841 by Lieutenant Charles Wilkes, USN, after Tumbou on the island of Lakemba in Fiji. Wilkes had been in Fiji in 1840 and used several other Fijian names when charting the San Juan Islands.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Saturna