3877 Squilax-Anglemont Rd
British Columbia Tourism Region : Thompson Okanagan
- Copper Island so named since Walter Moberly found traces of copper on its southwest corner in 1865. The island's Shuswap Indian name, anglicized as 'Hum-tat-qua,' means 'something sitting in the water.'
- Copper Island - Apparently after William Lee, a prospector in the area. Lee was severely injured in 1886 in a fight with his partner.
- Magna Bay - Called Magna (Latin for 'great') since it is one of the largest bays on Shuswap Lake. It was formerly known as Steamboat Bay but, because this name was not acceptable to the postal authorities, the name had to be changed.
- Pukeashun Mountain - Shuswap Indian word possibly meaning 'white rock.'
- Scotch Creek - After Scottish prospectors who worked this creek for gold in the 1860s. There is still a bit of placer mining done on the creek.
- Skwaam Bay - From the Shuswap Indian word for 'bay.' This bay was a wintering ground for the Adams Lake Indians and a place where they hunted caribou.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/CopperIsland