British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
Description From Owner:
- After Lieutenant William Robert Broughton, RN, who commanded the armed tender Chatham, which accompanied HMS Discovery during Vancouver's explorations.
- Early in 1793 Vancouver sent him back to England from Monterey, California, with dispatches.
- Seymour Inlet - Named after Frederick Seymour, Governor of British Columbia from 1864 until his death, from acute alcoholism, aboard HMS Sparrowhawk at Bella Coola in 1869.
- MOUNT SEYMOUR and SEYMOUR CREEK north of Vancouver are also named after him. So was SEYMOUR CITY at the north end of SEYMOUR ARM of Shuswap Lake, an important centre during the Big Bend gold rush of 1865-6.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/SimoomSound