7 Victoria Street West
British Columbia Tourism Region : Thompson Okanagan
- On the old HBC trail linking Kamloops with Tulameen and Hope. Probably the fur brigades camped here, because of the excellent pasturage for the horses, on their first night out from Kamloops.
- Dufferin - This suburb takes its name from Dufferin Hill, so named since Lord Dufferin, the Governor-General, sketched the view from here when, with Lady Dufferin, he visited Kamloops in 1876.
- Greenstone Mountain - A translation of the Shuswap Indian name, 'Kwil-äl-kwila' (‘green stone').
- Harpers Creek / Mountain - After Jerome and Thaddeus Harper, brothers who arrived in British Columbia in 1859 or earlier and built an enormous cattle empire in the Cariboo.
- Jerome died in 1874. In 1888 Thaddeus sold 38,572 acres, including the Gang Ranch and land by the South Thompson River and Cache Creek, but he went bankrupt the next year. He died in 1898. Also MOUNT HARPER, NE of Kamloops.
- Kamloops - John Tod, the veteran HBC man who in 1841 took over the fort here after the murder of Chief Factor Black, noted in his memoirs: 'The Shuswap Indians called the place 'Kahm-o-loops', meaning 'the meeting of the waters.''
- The first white man to visit the area was David Stuart of the Pacific Fur Company, who came by way of the Okanagan in 1811-12. He was followed in May 1812 by his associate, Alexander Ross.
- For ten days Ross traded with some 2,000 Indians 'at a place called by the Indians Curncloups.' Later that summer Stuart returned and built the first fort, apparently on the site of modern downtown Kamloops.
- In November he was followed by Joseph LaRocque, who built the North West Company's Fort Thompson on the other side of the river, in the wide angle formed by the confluence of the North and South Thompson.
- Soon after, when the NWC bought out the Pacific Fur Company, Stuart's fort was abandoned, and only Fort Thompson remained in business.
- Ross Cox, writing during the earliest days of Fort Thompson, observed: 'Messrs LaRocque and M'Donald, who wintered among them, state that the Kamloops are less friendly than any other tribe among whom we have posts established.
- They are addicted to thieving and quarreling, wear little clothing, and are extremely dirty in their persons.'
- In 1842 John Tod built a new fort on the site of North Kamloops. In 1862 it was abandoned and a fourth fort built close to where Stuart's original fort seems to have stood.
- In 1912 the HBC observed the centenary of Fort Thompson by opening its large department store. The names Fort Kamloops, Fort Thompson, and Thompson River Post were used interchangeably during the fur-trading period.
- When a post office was established here in 1870, the name chosen was Kamloops. The City of Kamloops was incorporated in 1893.
- McQueen Lake - After Isaac Brock McQueen, an Overlander of 1862. He came to the Kamloops area in 1865, logged and ranched here, and died in 1894.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Kamloops